Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sweet Mimi's

     Two Christmases ago, we were building the house we live in now.  We were renting a tiny house (tiny for 5 people anyway) and I was about 8 months pregnant.  My other pregnancies were great, so when I was hit with high blood pressure and ankles the size of tree trunks this time around, I knew bed rest was next.  My first December appointment brought exactly that.  So, tiny house, building a new home, pregnant, bedrest, and it's Christmas. Our tree was about a foot too tall for our rental house, so we had to put it almost in the middle of our living room.  But, it was Christmas and we weren't going to let all of our "obstacles" get in the way, especially when we had a 7, 4, and 2 year old who were ready to celebrate!
     When Christmas morning rolled around the kids were so excited to see what Santa brought and to open presents with me & Jeremy.  After they were through Jeremy brought in a huge box for me.  I waddled over to unwrap it & it had a big Dyson logo on the front.  I was excited because I did need a new vacuum cleaner.  Keep in mind that just a couple of weeks before we had talked about what a horrible gift household appliances were!  I opened it and thanked him and resumed trying to pry toys out of the boxes they were hardwired into.  He kept asking me to open the box and get it out to look at it.  Finally I peeled the outside paper away, only to find a Janome box!  I was so excited! 
    Now, trying to learn everything about a new contraption while pregnant is not good for the blood pressure, so my machine sat in the box for about 5 months.  Meanwhile, we had a baby and moved to our new home.  When we finally came up for air I got my new toy out and a dear friend came over and spent all day showing me the ins and outs.  Thank goodness I picked it up easier than sewing!



     I wanted to be able to monogram things around our home and do stuff for my kids.  I never thought that embroidery would be something I would be able to make a little money doing, but that's exactly what it has turned into.  I love having an outlet, as I'm sure all stay at home moms do.  I call my little business "Sweet Mimi's" after my daughter Mia (our only girl).  I can do as much or as little as I want, and if I need to stop to play lightsabers or clean up spilled juice, I don't have to punch a time card.  It is one of the most thoughtful gifts Jeremy could have ever gotten me.  I thank him for being the bread winner so that I can be at home, raising our children, and doing something that I truly love.  He is one in a million and I hope our "Mimi" is just as lucky in love as her mom is!

1 comment: