Saturday, February 5, 2011

Little Miss Trojan Beauty

     I am very pleased to say that we have survived our first beauty pageant!  About 3 weeks ago Mia came home from school with a flyer in her hand and a grin on her face and informed me that she had found the reason why she was in kindergarten.  The whole purpose for her education was to be in the Little Miss Trojan Beauty Pageant.  Immediately thoughts of fake hair and spray tans came to mind, but luckily they keep it simple for this one.  I also thought back to my own pageant experiences and how heartbreaking it can be at 6 years old to be judged and told you are, in fact, not the best one.  But I couldn't say no to that beaming face, so we bought the dress,the shoes, the flower for the hair and signed up.
     Mia had to fill out a questionnaire about some of her favorite things such as TV show (Wizards of Waverly Place), subject in school (art and math), hobbies (gymnastics, crafts, dress-up, and baking), and of course what she wanted to be when she grew up (artist).  The only disagreement we had on this was on the hobby section, but after much explanation I convinced her that "glitter" was not a hobby.
     A few days before the pageant they had practice.  They each had to answer a question on stage and they got a list of those to practice.  Then they learned how to walk, smile, and where to stand on stage. They also got their number.  Mia was #23 out of 33 kindergarten and first graders.  Over the next few days Jeremy and Jackson took the opportunity to drill Mia on the questions, which she just loved.  Finally, she woke up this morning and it was "Pageant Day".
     The pageant started at 1 p.m., so we had plenty of time to hear "is it time to leave for the pageant yet?".  I did my best to "fix" Mia's hair, then Mia, Jackson and I left for the high school.  We sent Jackson in to be our seat saver and Mia and I went backstage to get dressed and made up for pictures.  She was so excited after she got her dress on that she couldn't sit still.  All her little friends were there and we spent the next few minutes in a fog of giggles and hairspray.  It was finally "show time" so all us moms kissed our girls and went to find our seats.  Jeremy came with mom, dad, Parker, and Everett.  Carley and her friend Caroline were there.  Angela (aka Grandma), Aunt Kristen, and Kenzie also came, so we had a pretty big cheering section.  I think Jeremy and I were more nervous than Mia!
     We spent the next couple hours watching nervous little girls parade across the stage and answer their questions.  Mia got the question, "What is your favorite movie", and she answered "Wizards of Waverly Place: the Movie".  The big moment finally came . . . and went.  Mia didn't place, but 2 of her good friends did and she was excited for them.  I was afraid of the reaction I might see when I got backstage to pick her up, but she was still all smiles.  I gave her flowers from her dad and me, Angela gave her roses and a teddy bear, mom gave her candy, and Kenzie had made her a very sweet card.  We all told her she did such a great job.  She had the time of her life and said she couldn't wait until next year. 
     After all was said and done, we got home and I asked her was she nervous when they were calling out the winners, and she said she was.  I asked her was she sad she didn't win, to which she replied, "Not really.  I got way more presents than Miss Trojan."  As I sit writing this now, I can hear Mia with her dad and brothers laughing and playing video games upstairs.  Any thoughts about crowns and titles are long gone.  At least until next year!

Mia getting instructions at practice

All dressed and ready!

Getting her number pinned on

Going out to answer her question
Our beauty queen

2 comments:

  1. How absolutely sweet! This brought tears to my eyes. I guess I will never experience a pageant but I feel like I did by reading this. I know you are so proud of her. She is such a sweet girl and I think she looked beautiful! I have a picture of us two at the same pageant..only a couple of years older than Mia. I'm glad she had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have that picture too Beth. Our hair was about 10 feet high!

    ReplyDelete