Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Goodbye to Granny Smith

     Early Sunday morning my great grandmother, Inez Smith (Granny Smith) passed from this world.  She was 99 years old.  I have vivid memories of going to her house as a child, usually to shell peas or dig potatoes.  I can remember walking across her floor and thinking it felt like waves (from years of settling).  I always remember her wearing a dress.  In fact, I don't ever recall seeing her in pants.  Not that she didn't wear them, I just don't recall it.  She had one of those big propane tanks outside her house, and I can remember pretending it was a horse and climbing on top of it with my cousins (of which I had 5, all boys).  She had a crocheted throw in every room of the house, and I remember thinking why would anybody want a blanket that has holes in it?  She has looked the same to me for as far back as I can remember.  When she first met Jackson she put a coin in his hand and told me that what you put in babies hands, they will reap later in life.  I guess that is the last photograph I have of her is the 5 generations of us together with her, my popaw, my mom, me, and Jackson.  She lost 1 son when he was only 2 months old, and also lost her husband when my popaw was around Jackson's age.  She never remarried.  She raised my popaw and his 3 sisters on her own.  She never drove a car.  She had her right mind even until her death.  That is something I pray for my own self if I live that long.  She was the last of my great grandparents.  I never knew my great grandfathers, but I was lucky enough to know my mom's other grandmother (Granny Carley) and my dad's grandmother (Mama Kate).  We buried Granny Smith today in a little town called Bexar, Alabama.  It's sad that the only time I see many of my relatives is at a wedding or a funeral, but I did see many aunts, uncles, and cousins today.  99 years is a long time on this Earth, but I thank God that Granny got to see them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment