Sunday, October 23, 2011

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!


     "How many more days now?  How many now?  How many NOW?"  This is the chant I heard all last week as we got closer and closer to Mia's birthday party.  This was her first big blow out with just friends and it included a sleepover.  She drove us all crazy about it, but it's over now and I lived to tell the tale.  Let me start with her party theme.  She went from ballerinas to dogs to ballerina dogs to art to purple to butterflies, and finally to blue/purple/butterflies.  So, we spent the last few weeks collecting anything that we could find that was blue, purple, or had a butterfly on it.  I ended up making her cupcakes which is a stretch for me.  I'm a pretty good baker, but I do not have a steady hand with decorating, especially with frosting, but they turned out alright.  Mia has wanted to have a sleepover for forever, but we weren't really sure the girls would stay all night.  We sat down and had a talk to make sure it would be alright if they all ended up going home, even if it was the middle of the night, and she said that would be fine.  So we continued on with her plan.
     Friday at 4 p.m. we met 11 friends at Lucy's Artsy Place to get our creative juices flowing.  This is one of Mia's favorite places to be.  She loves Mrs. Lucy and she loves to paint.  Mia had picked out a butterfly to paint, so all their stations were set with paints, canvas, and brushes when they arrived.  Mia was so excited she couldn't sit still.  She had to wait outside and watch as all her friends cars pulled up, and then the squealing ensued.  Nervous moms dropped off their 6 and 7 year olds for their very first sleepover.  Most of them had only ever stayed with family members, but they were all excited to give it a try!  Jeremy and Carley came and got all the sleeping bags and pillows and took them back to our house while the girls painted, opened presents, and ate cupcakes. 



This is what Mia picked for her and the girls to paint.

Anxiously awaiting her guests arrival.

Paint color station







Yes, we had to squeeze 7 candles into one cupcake!



Finished works of art
     After all the painting fun we loaded up 3 cars full of girls and gifts and came back to our house.  The girls all piled out and ran inside to get started on their night of fun.  As we unloaded the cars I could already hear the squealing from the driveway.  My initial thought: "What was I thinking?".  My next thought: "Mia only has one birthday a year.  I can do this".  Nana so graciously let Jeremy, Parker, and Everett spend the night with her.  Needless to say Jackson wanted no part of this shindig, so he rode home from school with a friend and we didn't see him until all the girls had gone home on Saturday. 
     We got home and Carley came over to help out.  These girls were LOUD.  I remember all the giggling and screaming from when I was little, but I think these girls were 10 times noisier than we were!  We filled up on chicken nuggets, pigs in a blanket, chips, and (caffeine free) soda and they weren't slowing down yet.  Mia had borrowed all the dress up clothes from Nana's house and we set up a fashion show in the playroom.  They had a ball dressing up and singing as they pranced down the runway.  I told Mia I could show them a few dance moves, but she declined my offer.  It wasn't long before Carley had a long line of girls waiting to get their hair curled.  Then we painted nails and broke out the glitter face jewels.  I told them all they could pass for at least 12, and they thought that was hilarious.  After they used up all that energy it was movie time.  Nana gave Mia Soul Surfer as an early birthday present, so they all got in their pj's and unrolled their sleeping bags while I popped the corn.  I sent up snacks and glow in the dark bracelets and necklaces and the shrieks started all over again.  After the movie we had a few start to miss their mama's.  We lost 4 by 11:30 p.m., but no tears which was good.  I cleaned up the obvious messes in the kitchen and then went back up to check on the girls.  It was around midnight and Mia and 2 others were already out.  At 1 a.m. the kitchen was clean, the dishes washed, and 4 little girls were still upstairs giggling.  I told them it was time for lights out and I didn't hear from them again . . . . until 4 a.m. when I heard sniffles in the hallway.  One of Mia's little friends had woken up and missed her mama.  I picked her up and carried her to my bed and gave her my best "it's almost morning" speech, but she wasn't buying.  I texted her mom first, hoping to not wake up the whole house.  When I didn't get a message back, I called with no luck.  By this time Mia had come downstairs and gotten in bed with us too, so I told them we'd wait for a call back before we tried again.  I walked upstairs to check on all the others, and they were all still asleep.  When I came back down I had 2 girls in my bed, both fast asleep.  I prayed they'd stay that way at least until daylight, then went to the couch.  Thank goodness they never woke up again!  I think I probably got about 2 hours of sleep. 


And I thought I packed a lot for a short trip!


Is there anything more exciting than realizing you have the same pj's as the birthday girl?  AND you brought them with you?!?!

The entire squeal squad: Ashlyn, Maudie, Abby, Nevaeh, Sammi,
Mia, Kaylee, Rosie, Avery, Grace, & Kenneley

. . . and then there were 7

     Luckily it was 7:30 a.m. before anyone woke up.  We had gotten doughnuts the day before for breakfast.  In anticipation of our looooong night, I didn't plan on cooking Saturday morning.  I think I was already on my 2nd cup of coffee by the time the first sleepyhead came down the stairs.  After breakfast the real fun started.  Getting packed up.  We found everything from hairbows to underwear to toothbrushes to lone socks flying all around the house.  The girls finally got all their things in the right places and still had a little time to play.  They all really had a great time together.  Yes, they were loud, but they are a sweet group of girls.  Mia is so blessed to have such good girlfrends and I hope they all stay close throughout their school years.  It's not often we get rid of all the boys and just do girl stuff.  I'm glad these girls were still young enough to want me to join in some of their fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment