Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Veteran's Day


     Last night the 4th grade had a Veteran's Day program and it was wonderful.  They began it with the pledge and anthem, and the children who had relatives on active duty got to lead it.  I can only imagine what it must be like to have a loved one fighting for our country, but I'm so glad that they do.  Lots of kids brought in photographs of their relatives who have served in the armed forces, and they put on a slide show with all of them.  This must have been another "note home" that I missed.  Otherwise I would have sent in Jackson's great grandfather's pictures.  My dad's dad and Jeremy's mom's dad both served in the Navy during WWII.  All the classes sang The Armed Forces Medley, where each branch's song was played.  Afterward all the veteran's stood and the kids gave them cards that they had made, which said thank you for serving our country.  This is one of my favorite shows the kids have done so far.  I hope as my kids grow up and see their friends make the decision to defend our freedom, that Veteran's Day will become more than just another "day off".  That they'll realize how costly their freedom really can be.

Part of Jackson's class with their teacher, Mrs. Daniel


Jackson and Dawson

No comments:

Post a Comment