Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mirror to Chalkboard Project

     I have lots of big ideas for our new house.  Not that we can afford them all, or that they'll all be completed, but the cheap ones that I can work on between carpool, snacks, and naps? Done.  My outlet/stress reliever while we "camp out" in our rental home is projects!  I found this mirror at a consignment sale a few weeks ago.  (Sorry for the reflection of fish tank central.)



Yes, that's gold splatter painted all over it.  I got it for $8 and it already had a wire attached to the back for hanging.  My plan is to get the door for my pantry from my great grandmother's house in Hamilton, Alabama. Mama Kate lived to be 103 and she lived in 3 different centuries!  I have fond memories of going to her house as a little girl and I wanted to bring a piece of her home into mine.  I wanted something to put on the door front to make it stand out even more and that's when I thought of this mirror in the garage.  I took the mirror out of the frame and painted it with chalkboard paint.  Then I painted the frame with Krylon's Georgia Clay and glazed it with walnut stain.  Even though the paint is glossy I think it's purdy.  Sorry for my (extremely) amateur photography skills.  Maybe I should be putting my stress energy into a photog class?  Anyway, project completed!  FYI regular size chalk was hard to find around here!  I think the sidewalk people must have a monopoly on chalk.



After paint


After glaze



Project linked to the shabby creek cottage,

4 comments:

  1. Great idea. Love the style of the frame and it's much nicer as a chalk board than a mirror. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girls! It only took me 2 weeks worth of Everett's nap times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out great Leah and it will look beautiful on your grandmother's door. Hope you're having a wonderful day, Gail

    P.S. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete