Saturday, April 14, 2012

Yard Sale Season

     I love this time of year.  Everyone is Spring cleaning and I get to pick through everything they're getting rid of!  There's a yard sale on every corner, some even during the week!  Yesterday my husband and I went on a little road trip, just the 2 of us.  We ordered a table and hutch from a place near Nashville, Tennessee a few weeks ago and it was ready for pickup, so I dropped 3 kids off at school, 1 kid off at Nana's, and met Jeremy back at our place.  He had the truck and trailer all ready, so off we went.  I can't tell you how blessed we are to have a Nana that's willing to help us out when we need some kid-free time.  It's so nice to have uninterrupted conversation and just be Leah and Jeremy instead of mom and dad for a while.  Not that we don't spend most of our time talking about the kids, but we still enjoy each other's company.  Anyway, presenting our new table and hutch.  My very favorite color is green, so I fell in love with the hutch as soon as I saw it.  And I couldn't pass it up with those spindles in the doors!  The table top is made of aged white oak barn wood, and I love it too.  We found the ladder back chairs at a furniture consignment sale in Florence a few weeks ago. 



     If you're anything like me, then you always wish you were dragging a trailer with you on road trips so you could really load up on all the great deals you find.  Well, yesterday we just happened to be dragging a trailer, so I took full advantage.  Jeremy doesn't have the passion for "junk" that I do, so when I find something I know could be tweaked into fabulousness he tends to roll his eyes.  But, I'm also very cheap just like him so he's usually helping me load the "junk" as the eye rolling commences.  Between a couple of stops yesterday and a few yard sales I hit this morning I was pretty pleased with my haul.  I even took pictures of everything, which I usually forget to do.  I paid little to nothing for all my "junk".  The 2 little brown cagey things on the right I got at the Salvation Army for $3.  The Hunger Games-esque clock in the back just needed a battery and it still worked!  I found it at a yard sale this morning for $4.



I got the window for FREE from the lady who made the barn wood table.  I just loved the little gold handles still attached to the front.  I got the chandelier from a yard sale last week.  I'm thinking I'll paint it, take the electric wires out of it, and put real candles on it.  I may hang it over my tub in the new house.  I'm sure Jeremy would love to come light 10 candles every time I want to take a bath (sarcasm intended).  Not sure yet, but thought it was pretty. 



This is my very favorite.  An antique card catalog I found this morning for $15.  It needs some work, but I fell in love with it.  It even has the original screws still in it.  My kids had no idea what I was talking about when I told them what it was.  Then Jackson said, "It's the thing they had to use in the old days to find a book.  Kind of like a computer but on little cards in drawers."  How old am I?



     So, we are now full blast into the weekend.  I should have a house update sometime soon.  Our front door is in, the bricks are being layed, and the sheet rock is being hung.  I also bought most of the bathroom mirrors last week.  I can't wait to get into this house and start making it a home!

1 comment:

  1. You really hit the jackpot! I think that card catalog thing is really a deal, several years ago, my husband got a nice oak filing cabinet for $200. in Lawrenceberg, TN. I am a junker, he is more into "fine antiques"

    ReplyDelete